How to Avoid Getting Your Packages Stolen - Especially Your Cake Decorations
It’s that time of the year again, the Holiday Season! And with the holidays nearing, unfortunately there are more thefts of shipped packages from online shopping. Last year some 23 million people said they have had packages stolen from their homes before they could open them (survey performed by insurancequotes.com). Most commonly these thefts occur in the matter of seconds and in broad daylight. Many examples report the thieves discretely following the delivery man as he drops off the packages at the door, and moments later the thief makes their move, one residential street at a time. They are not picky in choosing which box to take, because to them any stolen good can be easily turned into $$$.
It’s an ugly fact of today’s reality, but as we all begin to do more of our everyday shopping online, we will always be dependent on our packages arriving to us safely. More importantly as a Cake Artist as yourself, when ordering important Cake Decorations & Supplies, sometimes you cannot afford to loose those packages because your cake is for tomorrow’s event! So here are a few preventative measures that you can take to ensure that you get your packages safely.
- Have your packages shipped to your local FedEx, UPS, or USPS office or retailer. They will receive and hold your packages safely until you come in with verified ID to collect them. Many of these offices are open late as well. This may be the safest option, simply look up the shipping address for your local shipping office.
- Similarly, having a PO box at your local Post Office is a safe way to receive your packages. They will hold your order safely until you collect.
- For an additional fee you can request Signature-Required Delivery. This option makes your package able to be dropped off only upon your signature.
- Having a front door webcam could help provide the proof to substantiate a theft. This recorded evidence may help support your claim case to the merchants for credit cards.
- Most shipping companies provide concierge services which allow you to redirect a package at will. This allows you to coordinate with your schedule best.
There are a number of different ways that you can help prevent the possibility of having your packages stolen. Please comment and share below if you have more suggestions. It is important to create awareness of this problem, especially during the holidays. We wouldn’t want that special Christmas gift to go missing right before Christmas day!
Here are links to find your nearest FedEx, UPS, or USPS office or retailers: